Firefox EPUB Reader
by Ron Kurtus (9 August 2011)
You can read ebooks in the EPUB format directly from the Firefox Internet browser with the EPUBReader add-on for Firefox. After you download and install the plug-in, you can read EPUB files stored on your computer or downloading and opening files from some other website. Note that EPUBReader only supports EPUB files without DRM protection.
Questions you may have include:
- How do you download the add-on?
- How do you read files in Firefox?
- What other features are there?
This lesson will answer those questions.
The download is relatively quick and hassle-free.
- Go to the webpage where you want to download the ePub file and click on the download link. If you already downloaded the ePub file to your PC, just open it via the "File/File open" menu or drag the file on the Firefox window.
- Now EPUBReader starts working: it downloads/opens the ePub file, uncompresses it and does some other processing. At the end it will present you the ready to read ePub file immediately!
- EPUBReader created a page where all the ePub files, you downloaded/opened, are listed. You can open this page at four locations:
- EPUBReader added a bookmark to this page called "ePub-Catalog" which you can find at the end of your bookmark list.
- You find a new menuitem in your Firefox "Tools" menu, called "ePub-Catalog".
- You can add a button to your Firefox toolbar. If you use Firefox 4.0 or later, the button has been added automatically.
- When you are reading an ePub-file, you find a button in the bottom toolbar.
Reading EPUB files
Once you have EPUBReader installed, you can read EPUB files that are on your hard drive by opening the Firefox browser and dragging the EPUB file into the Firefox window. You can also download files from other websites. They will be then be opened in Firefox.
In either case, the EPUB files cannot have Digital Rights Management (DRM) protection.
Some of the other features of EPUBReader includes a Navigation bar, where you can access your catalog of EPUB books. It also has Save, Bookmark, and Zoom buttons.
The Table of Contents includes Preferences and Help buttons.
The EPUBReader add-on for Firefox allows you to read ebooks in the EPUB format directly from the Firefox Internet browser. After you download and install the plug-in, you can read EPUB files stored on your computer or downloading and opening files from some other website. The add-on also has several other handy features.
Resources and references
Questions and comments
Do you have any questions, comments, or opinions on this subject? If so, send an email with your feedback. I will try to get back to you as soon as possible.
Click on a button to bookmark or share this page through Twitter, Facebook, email, or other services:
Students and researchers
The Web address of this page is:
Please include it as a link on your website or as a reference in your report, document, or thesis.
Where are you now?
Firefox EPUB Reader