List of Topics

SfC Home > Health > Animal Health >


Danger of Dog Eating Gum

by Ron Kurtus (updated 18 January 2022)

It is amazing how many people spit their chewing gum on the ground or in the grass. Not only is this gross, but it is potentially dangerous to dogs that eat the gum. The reason is that most chewing gum these days are sweetened with xylitol, which is highly toxic to dogs.

Sugar-free gums are almost 70% xylitol, because it is an artificial sweetener. When xylitol is ingested by dogs, it causes a surge of insulin that drops a dog's blood sugar to dangerous levels. This can damage your dog's liver.

The best thing to do is to keep your dog away from new or used chewing gum.

Questions you may have include:

This lesson will answer those questions. Animal Health Disclaimer

How much xylitol is lethal?

About 3 grams of xylitol—or around ten pieces of sugarless gum—can kill a dog as big as 65 pounds. Seven pieces can be harmful to a 45 pound dog, while smaller dogs only need to consume as little as two pieces of gum before the dosage starts doing some serious damage, such as liver failure.

Less than 0.1 gram of the chemical is enough to give dogs a dramatic surge of insulin when they consume it. Trident contains 0.17g per stick, though others can be up to 1g.  Once ingested, it causes the dog's blood sugar levels to drop to such depths that they risk brain damage, a coma, liver failure, and death.

However, gum that a person has chewed and spit out will have less of the toxin in it—perhaps only 10%. There have been no studies on the amount of xylitol that is left in the chewed gum, but it still can be dangerous.

Intake of very high doses of xylitol (225 mg/lb or 500 mg/kg body weight) has been implicated in liver failure in dogs.

Symptoms of xylitol poisoning

Symptoms of xylitol toxicity develop rapidly, usually within 15-30 minutes of consumption. Signs of hypoglycemia may include any or all of the following:

In severe cases, the dog may develop seizures or liver failure. Dogs that develop liver failure from xylitol poisoning often show signs of hypoglycemia.

Prevention and treatment

It is important not to leave chewing gum packages in the house where you dog can get the gum and eat it. This includes candy that contain artificial sweeteners.

Used gum

When you are walking your dog outside, do not let your pet eat gum that has been spit out on the ground, grass, or in the bushes.

I've stopped walking my dog near a local church, because so many people spit their gum out on the ground before going in for the service.

Treatment for xylitol poisoning

If your dog has eaten a quantity of gum and is showing symptoms of xylitol poisoning, call your vet or bring your dog to the vet immediately. They may tell you over the phone to start inducing vomiting at home to help remove any excess gum in your dog's stomach.


Eating several pieces of sugarless chewing gum can be toxic and even lethal to a dog, depending on the number of pieces and size of the dog. Used gum has less xylitol but still can be harmful.

Signs that the dog has problems include weakness and seizures. It is important to prevent your dog from eating gum. If it has eaten a quantity of gum and is showing symptoms, bring the animal to the vet immediately.

Take care of your pet

Resources and references

Ron Kurtus' Credentials


Dog Chewing Gum Toxicity -

Xylitol Toxicity in Dogs

Pet Health Resources


(Notice: The School for Champions may earn commissions from book purchases)

Top-rated books on Pet Health

Share this page

Click on a button to bookmark or share this page through Twitter, Facebook, email, or other services:


Students and researchers

The Web address of this page is:

Please include it as a link on your website or as a reference in your report, document, or thesis.

Copyright © Restrictions

Where are you now?

School for Champions

Animal Health Topics

Danger of Dog Eating Gum

Animal Health topics




Older pets

Also see

Let's make the world a better place

Be the best that you can be.

Use your knowledge and skills to help others succeed.

Don't be wasteful; protect our environment.

You CAN influence the world.

Live Your Life as a Champion:

Take care of your health

Seek knowledge and gain skills

Do excellent work

Be valuable to others

Have utmost character

Be a Champion!

The School for Champions helps you become the type of person who can be called a Champion.